“Mask Troup County” Campaign Distributes 65,000 Free Masks
TROUP COUNTY COVID-19 CASE NUMBERS BREAK 1,000, INCLUDING MORE THAN 50 CASES ON JUNE 24, 2020
Earlier this week Troup County topped 1,000 COVID-19 cases, and today on June 24 more than 50 cases were added. A community wide effort created by District 4 Public Health, Georgia Emergency Management Agency and other surrounding organizations helped distribute 65,000 free face masks.
“We’ve had another outbreak, so we need to get back to masking,” said LaGrange-Troup County Chamber of Commerce Chairman George Bailey. “Everyone to be safe in our community.”
“To be able to distribute the masks for people who maybe cannot afford them, and to be able to give them free masks that they can reuse was very important,” said Director of LaGrange Housing Authority Rena Boykin.
Wearing masks and social distancing are just a few ways to help prevent the spread of COVID-19.
“We need to do this. I have friends and I know people that have had the coronavirus, and it’s no joke,” said Troup County resident Zadie Ways. “It’s very important that everyone wear their mask. At my shop I stress it, you can’t come in my door without one.”
Since the start of the pandemic in March, many events have gone virtual, been canceled or postponed due to COVID-19. The LaGrange-Troup County Fourth of July Fireworks Show has moved back to August 8, 2020.
“We miss it, you know, we miss the fun,” said Bailey. “Hopefully we can get back going by people being safe.”
The free mask campaign aims to ensure all residents who need face coverings have access to them.
You can pick up a free mask at the following locations:
- LaGrange-Troup County Chamber of Commerce, 111 Bull Street in LaGrange. (The Chamber is encouraging business owners to pick up masks and signs to help distribute as well as encourage the usage of face masks.)
- Ark Refuge Ministries, 504 E Depot St in LaGrange
- LaGrange Housing Authority, 201 Chatham Street & 611 Borton Street in LaGrange
- DASH, 1302 Brownwood Avenue in LaGrange
- LaGrange Police Department, 100 West Haralson Street
- LaGrange City Hall, 200 Ridley Avenue
- LaGrange Dairy Queen, 230 New Franklin Road