WLTZ-NBC 38 in Columbus, Ga. is seeking an experienced Meteorologist with a strong on-air presence, informative story telling ability and a desire to be the best while working in a team environment. Personality, professionalism, and creativity are a must on and off camera while remaining cool under pressure even during severe weather. This position will play a key role in developing our presence in the market providing the most accurate weather in the market. Meteorological certification is a must.
Our DMA delivers weather for Columbus, Georgia and the surrounding area, Columbus, Georgia is located on the Georgia/ Alabama state line on the Chattahoochee River near Atlanta and the Florida Gulf Coast. Also, we are very close to Auburn University and Fort Benning (military base). The area has a very reasonable cost of living with numerous outdoor activities and Southern Hospitality.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
· Produces and presents weather reports for all platforms.
· Ensures that all weather content meets company standards for journalistic integrity and production quality.
· Writes and delivers weather stories in a clear and concise manner.
· Assists in writing, copy editing, researching and coordinating weather programming and other content.
· Responds to breaking and/or severe weather events and other urgent newsrooms situations as required.
· Works closely with the weather team to develop comprehensive weather coverage.
· Participates in promotional activities including public appearances.
· Performs special projects and other duties as assigned.
· Writes web stories detailing the local forecast on a daily basis.
· Interacts with viewers and users on social media sites.
Requirements & Skills:
· Bachelor’s degree in Meteorology, or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and work-related experience.
· Fluency in English.
· Excellent communication skills, both oral and written with the ability to ad lib when required.
· Entry level to 2 years experience in weather reporting or anchoring.
· Superior on-air presence.
· Proficiency with Baron Lynx or Weather Central a plus.
· Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
· Strong understanding of the field of Meteorology and a proven track record of forecasting.
· Valid driver’s license with a good driving record.
· Flexibility to work any shift.
Physical Demands & Work Environment: The Meteorologist must be able to sit, conduct telephone conversations, use electronic mail, write letters and memos, conduct face-to-face discussions with individuals or groups, make decisions without supervision, make decisions that impact the results of co-workers, work in close proximity to others, work outdoors occasionally in all weather conditions, and work indoors in environmentally controlled conditions. In addition, the Meteorologist must be able to lift, set up and operate equipment weighing up to 25 pounds, and be able to handle, control or feel objects, tools or controls. Repetitive movements are required. Work may be conducted in extremely bright or inadequate lighting conditions.
If you believe you are a good fit for this position, send your resume, cover letter, and a link to work samples to the General Manager, Mark Kirkland, at firstname.lastname@example.org. A valid driver’s license and pre-employment screening is required for this position.
WLTZ-TV is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin or disability and maintain a Drug-Free Workplace. We require a background check, drug testing and the ability to lift up to 50 pounds of equipment. You have the right to notify an appropriate local, State or Federal agency if they believe they have been the victims of discrimination.