U.S. Senator Richard Shelby Announces $20.8 in FAA Grants for Alabama Airports
According to Sen. Shelby's Website
Five Alabama airports will receive $20. 8 million in Federal Aviation Administration grants, backed by U.S. Senator Richard Shelby.
The funding was awarded by the U.S. Department of Transportation for various airport improvements to support infrastructure construction, safety advances and equipment, according to Senator Shelby’s website.
$8.1million will go to the Lanett Municipal airport.
That money will fund the extension of a runway.
The Lanett airport is a 10 year project focused primarily on serving area industries and promoting economic development in Chambers County.
The five FAA grants, totaling $20.8 million will support the following airport projects in Alabama, according to Sen. Shelby’s Website:
- Lanett Municipal Airport, Lanett, Alabama – $8,100,000 for the extension of a runway
- Centre-Piedmont-Cherokee County Regional Airport, Centre, Alabama – $5,552,000 for construction of a taxiway
- Franklin Field Airport, Union Springs, Alabama – $3,866,048 for construction of a runway
- Vaiden Field Airport, Marion, Alabama – $2,262,634 for the continuation of construction on a parallel taxiway
- Scottsboro Municipal-Word Field Airport, Scottsboro, Alabama – $1,046,850 for the rehabilitation of an apron