REPOSTED: Sports Director
Anchors Weeknight Sports - Reports Sports - Leads Team in Hyper-Local Sports Coverage Strategy
The NBC affiliate in Columbus, GA is looking for a strong sports journalist to champion our hyper-local coverage strategy, anchor weeknight sportscasts, and report original content on-air, online, and via social media platforms. If you know sports, are dynamic on-camera, and personally driven to break news on your sports beat, apply today.
- Anchor Sports for Weeknight Newscasts
- Anchor Sports for other newscasts, specials, and programs
- Produce, write, and edit sportscasts and sports specials
- Report, write, and edit original content daily for on-air, online, and social media channels
- Shoot superior video and still images of sports action
- Lead our sports team in focused hyper-local coverage strategy. We do LOCAL sports.
- Display a knowledge of and enthusiasm for coverage of Southeastern Conference sports. Auburn University is in our DMA. We have fantastic relationships with the university and sports operations there. So, we aggressively cover all things Auburn. We also cover the sports programs at the University of Georgia and the University of Alabama.
- Quickly initiate and solidify strong editorial sources and connections among administrations, coaches, team members, booster organizations, parent groups, alumni associations, governing bodies, event organizers, and individual participants, etc. of and associated with professional, collegiate, prep, and recreational sports and activities, AND, leverage those sources to break news from your beat.
- As needed, occasionally, cover breaking news, major news, and/or severe weather when the severity, priority, and/or scope of that coverage supersedes daily sports coverage.
- Perform other duties as needed.
To apply you should:
- Be highly organized, able to successfully self-manage your time and daily workflow, and coordinate coverage of other team members
- Operate professional video cameras and support equipment, i.e. audio, lighting, etc.
- Be able to lift up to 50 pounds of equipment throughout each workday
- Be a confident and competent on air presenter
- Be able to produce sportscasts on deadline (Experience with news rundown/scripting systems, i.e. Ross Inception, is a plus.)
- Have strong working knowledge of writing styles for broadcast, digital, and social media
- Be proficient in posting platform-tailored content to the web, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.
- Edit video in Final Cut Pro or a like non-linear editing system.
- Demonstrate strong editorial judgment, journalistic ethics, and knowledge of media law
- Possess a valid drivers license and have a clean driving record
- Have a BA degree in journalism/broadcasting or equivalent work experience
- One year of previous professional anchoring and reporting preferred.
Email your reel link, resume, and cover letter to Director of News and Local Content Gene Kirkconnell firstname.lastname@example.org.