Chief Meteorologist (POSITION FILLED)
Weather Scientist - Dynamic Presenter - Strategic Leader
WLTZ, the NBC affiliate in Columbus, GA seeks a CHIEF METEOROLOGIST to lead our team of forecasters. The successful candidate will be a strong leader, communicator, and weather scientist who authors and presents forecasts and stories for television, radio, digital and social media platforms. In concert with the News Director and station management, the Chief Meteorologist will lead our team of forecasters in the execution of our severe weather strategy. The Chief Met will take a very active role in serving as a community ambassador for the television station.
- Produce and present clear and accurate forecasts which tell a story and connect with viewers
- Alert viewers to the threat of severe weather
- Display authority, knowledge, calm, and clarity in the tracking of storms and presentation of breaking weather information
- Work closely with news director and producers to determine relevant, promotable weather content in breaking and everyday situations
- Author text, graphic, picture, and video forecasts and weather stories for broadcast, digital, and social media platforms
- Utilize social media to gather and distribute weather information
- Report live during weather events
- Report live from breaking news
- Report live from community events
- Make public appearances on behalf of the station
- Present weather primarily for our Weeknight evening newscasts. Be willing and able to work a flexible schedule including morning, evening, or weekend shifts when severe weather or scheduling presents the need.
- Be a confident and dynamic on air presenter
- Have a professional on-air presence
- Possess a strong weather science background
- Able to clearly explain the weather story, by utilizing graphics and video, in a way that helps our audience understand forecasts and prepare for various weather conditions
- Be an excellent communicator and able to work well with a team
- Be proficient with the tools and technology needed to author, produce, and deliver forecasts, severe weather coverage, and weather information. Some of our gear includes Baron Omni, Ross Inception, Final Cut Pro X, and WordPress.
- A Bachelor’s degree in meteorology, atmospheric science or other relevant science degree is preferred
- Previous on-air experience presenting weather and news information is preferred
- Confidence and capability to lead a weather team and interface with all areas of the station is a must
- Ability to participate in community outreach initiatives required
If you believe you are a good fit for this position, send your resume, cover letter, and a link to work samples to Director of News and Local Content Gene Kirkconnell email@example.com.
A valid driver’s license and pre-employment screening is required for this position.