Breastmilk Overdose? - WLTZ 38 | Columbus Georgia Regional News & Community

Breastmilk Overdose?

Posted: Updated:

Spartanburg, SC (WYFF) - A South Carolina woman has been found guilty of killing her daughter with a morphine overdose from breast milk.

Stephanie I. Greene, 39, was found guilty of homicide by child abuse, involuntary manslaughter and unlawful conduct toward a child.

She was sentenced to 20 years in prison and will serve 80 percent of the prison sentence before she is eligible for release.

Greene's 46-day-old daughter, Alexis, was found dead in her parents' bed on November 13, 2010.

A toxicology report showed toxic levels of morphine in her blood, liver and brain as well as other drugs, including Klonopin, in her system.

Greene's attorney, Wise Rauch, said he does not disagree the baby likely died of a morphine overdose. He questions how such a toxic level killed the newborn.

"When the average human being takes morphine, it's metabolized through the liver," said Rauch. "If it's not metabolized correctly, then yes, it has the possibility to build up, but no mother would know whether or not their child metabolizes morphine correctly without a genetic test."

Powered by WorldNow
Powered by WorldNow All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WLTZ. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.