Thanksgiving cooking turns into home fire - WLTZ 38 | Columbus Georgia Regional News & Community

Thanksgiving cooking turns into home fire

Posted: Updated:

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP) — Thanksgiving cooking turned catastrophic at a Birmingham home when a fire destroyed the residence.

Mildred Cook told AL.com that she was cooking on her stove late Wednesday when a fire started and quickly spread throughout her home in the South East Lake neighborhood a few miles from downtown.

Cook said her husband was home, as well.

She said the fire started on the stove as she was about to begin cooking greens. It quickly jumped to a vent and apparently spread quickly through the attic.

Albert Ward of the Birmingham Fire and Rescue Service said the home is a total loss.

Cook told AL.com that she'd planned to host family for Thanksgiving dinner, but instead had to turn her attention to finding a hotel room.

Powered by WorldNow
Powered by WorldNow All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WLTZ. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.