Parents react to Carbon Monoxide poisoning - WLTZ 38 | Columbus Georgia Regional News & Community

Parents react to Carbon Monoxide poisoning

Posted: Updated:

(WSB)-A scary scene at an Atlanta elementary school today.
Dozens of students and teachers were taken to the hospital after being exposed to extremely high levels of carbon monoxide.

Their symptoms included headache, dizziness, nausea and vomiting.  

Parents rushed to Finch Elementary School to see what was going on.
And many were unhappy when they got there.  
 
"It's unorganized because these folks know these children are up here. These parents are trying to get their children and they ain't doing nothing about it. Why are they in the hospital. Baby is in the hospital and he told me to go get in line to sign papers. It's not right."
   
"My baby is at the hospital. She already has bronchitis and asthma and I told them that and they wouldn't go check for me or nothing."

Some 500 students and staff were evacuated from the school.

Firefighters say the carbon monoxide levels in the building were the highest the department has ever detected in the City of Atlanta. Captain Marian McDaniel said the levels were high enough that the toxic gas could be lethal. But she says, fortunately, all of the victims' conditions were mild to moderate.

Powered by WorldNow
Powered by WorldNow All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WLTZ. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.