Manhunt Monday 11/05/12 - WLTZ 38 | Columbus Georgia Regional News & Community

Manhunt Monday 11/05/12

Posted: Updated:

A year ago the flames flew high into the night as the Swift Mill burned nearly out of control. Columbus firefighters on scene were able to prevent it from spreading to other businesses but most of the mill burned to the ground.

Now, a year later Fire Chief Ricky Shores says they are still looking for answers and for two people of interest wanted in connection with the case.

Chief Shores says, "We're still seeking information as to the where abouts of the two people that we posted earlier in the year and hopefully be able to glean information from."

Chief Shores stresses that the two men are not suspects in the case and just wants to know what they saw that night a year ago.

"We're hopeful that they would be able to give us information as to what they saw. Certainly it doesn't mean that they started the fire but we do believe they were in the area around the time the fire and we would be interested in speaking with them," Shores explains.

As for the investigation itself, Chief Shores says it remains under investigation because huge mill  fires often take a lot of time.

He says, "We're certainly not going to rush the investigation just because its been a year, we have to take it slow and methodically and make sure that we do it right."

Chief Shores says the ATF has finished up its part of the investigation but is now waiting for any new information before moving forward with the case.

Meanwhile, officials in Russell County say they have found an inmate who was accidentally let out of the Russell County Jail last week.

According to Sheriff Heath Taylor, Cimarron Lamb was released by accident but this afternoon he turned himself back in to authorities.

He was originally in jail as the suspected get away driver in the Rainbow Foods robbery a few weeks ago; but Sheriff Taylor says this incident is being looked at very closely in the jail.

Sheriff Taylor says, "This was not an escape from the facility this was an accidental release on my employees part we have already taken some action as far as that goes in the jail and we've already suspended some employees."

Sheriff Taylor says multiple jail employees have already been suspended without pay because of the incident and says more disciplinary action may be on the way.

Powered by WorldNow
Powered by WorldNow All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WLTZ. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.