Greg Brown named secondary coach at Auburn
Auburn, Ala.—Greg Brown, who has coached three players that have won the Jim Thorpe Award as the nation’s best defensive back, has been named Auburn’s secondary coach announced Gus Malzahn Saturday. A 36-year coaching veteran, Brown comes to Auburn from Missouri where he spent the last year coaching cornerbacks, where the Tigers tied for the SEC lead in interceptions in the regular season. His resume includes 15 years of experience in the National Football League.
“I’m excited to welcome Greg Brown, who is one of the best defensive backs coach in all of football to our staff at Auburn,” Malzahn said. “Greg has coached three Thorpe Award winners and has a strong proven track record of developing players at both the college and professional level.”
Three of his pupils; Deon Figures (Colorado, 1992), Chris Hudson (Colorado, 1994) and Gerod Holliman (Louisville, 2014) have won the Thorpe Award. Brown is the only coach to have ever coached three players that have won the Thorpe Award. In 2014, Holliman tied an NCAA record with 14 interceptions.
“I’m extremely excited to come to Auburn and have the opportunity to work for Gus Malzahn and on the defensive side of the ball with Kevin Steele,” Brown said. “Auburn has a great football tradition built on hard work and toughness. I can’t wait to get to Auburn to help continue to build upon that success.”
Brown has spent the last 11 years at Power Five schools coaching defensive backs, with stints at Missouri, Louisville, Alabama, Colorado and Arizona. Prior to that, he had a 12-year run coaching the secondary with five different NFL franchises. In all, Brown has 19 years of college coaching experience and 17 years of professional experience (15 NFL, two USFL) to his credit.
He graduated from UTEP in 1980 with a bachelor’s degree in education (history/physical education). At UTEP, Brown lettered twice at cornerback. He earned his A.A. degree from Glendale (Ariz.) Junior College in 1978. Brown graduated from Arvada (Colo.) High School, where he lettered in both football and track.
Greg Brown File
- 2016 Missouri – Cornerbacks
- 2014-15 Louisville – Safeties/Recruiting Coordinator
- 2013 Alabama – Secondary
- 2011-12 Colorado – Defensive Coordinator
- 2010 Arizona – Co-Defensive Coordinator
- 2007-09 Colorado – Defensive Backs/Passing Game Defensive Coordinator
- 2006 Colorado – Defensive Backs
- 2002-05 New Orleans Saints – Defensive Assistant
- 2000-01 Atlanta Falcons – Defensive Backs
- 1999 San Francisco 49ers – Defensive Backs
- 1997-98 Tennessee Oilers – Secondary
- 1995-96 San Diego Chargers – Secondary
- 1994 Atlanta Falcons – Defensive Backs
- 1991-93 Colorado – Secondary
- 1989-90 Purdue – Defensive Backs
- 1987-88 Wyoming – Defensive Backs
- 1986 Tampa Bay Buccaneers – U-Backs/Tight Ends
- 1985 Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Offensive Quality Control
- 1984 Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Defensive Quality Control
- 1983-84 Denver Gold – Secondary
- 1982 Green Mountain H.S. – Defensive Coordinator
- 1981 UTEP – Graduate Assistant/Secondary
- Louisville (2) – Belk, 2014; Music City, 2015.
- Alabama (1) – Sugar, 2014.
- Colorado (4) – Independence, 2007; Aloha, 1993; Fiesta, 1993; Blockbuster, 1991.
- Arizona (1) – Alamo, 2010.
- Wyoming (2) – Holiday, 1988; Holiday, 1987.
- Colorado: Big Eight (1) – 1991.
- Wyoming: WAC (2) – 1988, 1987.
- 1978-79 UTEP – Cornerback
- 1980 UTEP – Education
- Wife – Stacie; Daughters – Hannah, Grace.
***SOURCE: AUBURN ATHLETICS DEPARTMENT