WLTZ, the NBC affiliate in Columbus, GA is looking for a Freelance Meteorologist to author and present forecasts and stories for television, radio, digital and social media platforms. This part-time position is primarily utilized for fill-in shifts when full-time staffers take time off. It is also utilized to augment forecast and coverage needs during the threat of severe weather and for the coverage of large community events.
- Produce and present clear and accurate forecasts which tell a story and connect with viewers
- Alert viewers to the threat of severe weather
- Work closely with news director and producers to determine relevant, promotable weather content in breaking and everyday situations
- Author text, graphic, picture, and video forecasts and weather stories for broadcast, digital, and social media platforms
- Utilize social media to gather and distribute weather information
- Report live during weather events
- Report live from breaking news
- Report live from community events
- Make public appearances on behalf of the station
- Work a flexible schedule including morning, evening, or weekend shifts.
- Be a confident and dynamic on air presenter
- Have a professional on-air presence
- Possess a strong science background
- Able to clearly explain the weather story, by utilizing graphics and video, in a way that helps our audience prepare for various weather conditions
- Be an excellent communicator and able to work well with a team
- Be proficient with the tools and technology needed to author, produce, and deliver forecasts, severe weather coverage, and weather information. Some of our gear includes Baron Omni, Ross Inception, Final Cut Pro X, and WordPress.
- A Bachelor’s degree in meteorology, atmospheric science or other relevant science degree is preferred
- Previous on-air experience presenting weather and news information is preferred
- Ability to participate in community outreach initiatives required
If you believe you are a good fit for this position, send your resume, cover letter, and a link to work samples to firstname.lastname@example.org.
A valid driver’s license and pre-employment screening is required for this position.