911 Call Center Evacuated

Savannah, GA (WSAV) A chemical leak inside Savannah, Georgia’s Emergency Communications Center forced an evacuation and re-routing of 911 calls Monday.

Savannah firefighters responded to the county facility just before 9:30 a.m. when communications personnel started complaining about eye, nose and throat irritations.

14 personnel were treated by emergency medical personnel on scene. Two of the individuals were transported to St. Joseph’s/Candler Hospital for further evaluation.

Hazmat crews entered the building and isolated the irritant to the fire suppression system. The chemical, Heptaflouropropane, is a compressed gas that is used to suppress fires in electronic equipment.

"It’s an irritant, causes some throat, eye irritation, we had a couple people that actually got nauseous," said Mark Keller of Savannah Fire and Emergency Services.

Read more: http://bit.ly/2dxBAvC

Related Articles