Thanksgiving cooking turns into home fire

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP) — Thanksgiving cooking turned catastrophic at a Birmingham home when a fire destroyed the residence.

Mildred
Cook told AL.com that she was cooking on her stove late Wednesday when a
fire started and quickly spread throughout her home in the South East
Lake neighborhood a few miles from downtown.

Cook said her husband was home, as well.

She
said the fire started on the stove as she was about to begin cooking
greens. It quickly jumped to a vent and apparently spread quickly
through the attic.

Albert Ward of the Birmingham Fire and Rescue Service said the home is a total loss.

Cook
told AL.com that she'd planned to host family for Thanksgiving dinner,
but instead had to turn her attention to finding a hotel room.